|www.ashtead.org | All things Ashtead | What else is called Ashtead?|
The Brewery Inn appears to have started life around 1800 as a small beer house. Under George Sayer from around 1850 until the 1910s, it prospered as a combined inn and breweryExtract from: Ashtead : a village transformed
Sayers Ashtead Brewery was leased by George Sayer Junior to the Swan Brewery Co Leatherhead in 1913 whereupon it was changed into a mineral water factory lasting until 1934 It was sold in 1926 to Mellersh & Neale, who had become the new owners of the Swan Brewery in 1922.Extract from: A Brewing Heritage
George Baker, based in Barnett Wood Lane, was another mineral water manufacturer.
Ashtead Brick Works was run by J.L.P. Sanderson around 1902
There are over 20 dogs bearing the name Ashstead the most famous one is Ashstead Applause, but at least five others were champion dogs too.
Mr R. H. Roberts registered his then address as his Ashtead kennel name in 1920; see note 9 and 11 below
Note that, as with many other references to the village, the name is sometimes spelt Ashtead and sometimes AshsteadThose preferring a spelling Ashtead include: Chelsea Collies, Collie-online, Carreras Ltd.
|Ace of Ashstead|
|Ashstead Actress||Born 16-Feb-1923. By Laund Lucas-Treffynnon Polly|
|Ashtead Amulet||ch||mentioned in 'A catalogue of the Bridgewater Canine Society's Open and Members Show' April 9th 1928|
|Ashstead Applause||ch||born 1924 son of Master Robert and Ashstead Primrose; Crufts (see note 4 below) Pedigree Show Champion; see notes 1, 2, 3, 9 and 11 below|
|Ashstead Aristocrat||ch||son of Ashstead Applause and Oakham Louise|
|Ashstead Artiste||daughter of Netherkeir Starboy and Ashstead Annabel|
|Ashstead Blue Ensign||son of Applauson Of Tembi and Ashstead Amethust; see note 3 below|
|Ashtead Blue Prince||ch||won a Challenge Certificate at Crufts in 1936 and a Reserve Certificate at eight months old
See note 8 below
|Ashstead Eminence||ch||See note 3 below|
|Ashstead Violetta||ch||born 17-Mar-1929 daughter of Ashstead Applause and Jean Of Ashstead; see note 11 below|
|Jean Of Ashstead||daughter of Laund Lukeo and Ashstead Primrose; see notes 11 below|
|Jeanson Of Ashstead /
Laund Loyalty of Bellhaven
|ch||Litter brother of Lucason of Ashtead. See notes 9 and 11 below|
|Lobby of Ashtead||ch||World Champion in 1935, See notes 7|
|Lucas Of Ashstead|
|Lucason of Ashtead O'Bellhaven||ch||Litter brother of Jeanson of Ashtead. See notes 1, 6, 9, 10 and 11 below|
|Pansy Of Ashstead|
|Surprise Of Ashstead||daughter of Uncle Of Ashstead and Betty [Old - English]|
|Uncle Of Ashstead||son of Ashstead Applause and Jean Of Ashstead|
|Viola Of Ashstead||ch||born 4-Aug-1927 daughter of Ashstead Applause and Jean Of Ashstead|
|Wallace Of Ashstead||son of Lucas Of Ashstead and Pansy Of Ashstead|
|1.||According to Gayle Kaye of Chelsea Collies:
"Ashtead [the correct spelling] Collies were quite famous in the 1920's and 30's, owned by R.H. Roberts.
They were located at 35 Ravensdale Road, Stamford Hill, London N16, England
Later during the 30's they relocated to 18 The Ridgeway, Friern Barnet, London N11, England
They bred a lot of famous Collies, including some, like Ch. Laund Loyalty of Bellhaven and his brother, that were exported to the US.
Ch. Laund Loyalty of Bellhaven is probably one of the most famous Collies in America because he was the only collie to ever go Best In Show at Westminster."
The Book of Dogs by Stanley West has a portrait style photograph of Ashstead Applause. There is another book, of which we have very little information, which has the same photograph, but this time in the full landscape format. Here the dog is called Ashtead Applause. [The book may be called Hutchinson's Dog Encyclopaedia, this is a 3 volume 1990 page classic, edited by Walter Hutchinson and published in 1934] On the other side is a picture of a girl with a 1920's hat and furs holding the leads of 7 Collies. The description reads "It is very seldom that one is able to see so fine a kennel of Collies as here depicted, the property of Mr R.H. Roberts. Note the type of head, free from any suggestion of the Borzoi"
|2.||Ashstead Applause also exists as a Royal Doulton figurine designed by Frederick Daws.
The Collie has a dark and light brown coat, white chest, shoulders and feet and comes in one of 3 sizes:
small (HN1059, model no.779B) 11.4cm high, medium (HN1058, model no.779A) 12.7cm high and large (HN1057, model no.779) 19.1cm high.
According to Julie McKeown the curator at the Sir Henry Doulton Gallery: "The Royal Doulton model collie Ch. 'Ashstead Applause' was an early model in the Championship Dog Series. It was produced in large sizes from 1931-1960, medium size from 1931-85 and small 1931-69. Designed by Frederick Daws, each dog was modelled after recognized breeds and Crufts Pedigree Show Champions."
|3.||In the excellent book The Book of Dogs by Stanley West there are over 340 photographs of dogs taken by Walter Guiver. Three of the five Collies are Ashstead Collies. Ashstead Blue Ensign, Ashstead Applause and Ashstead Eminence|
|4.||Crufts is an annual international championship dog show run by the The Kennel Club|
|5.||Other good sites: Collie-online (French Collie Pedigree site), Colliesidan (Swedish Collie Pedigree site)|
|6.||The book The New Collie by Collie Club of America contains information on Lucason of Ashtead O'Bellhaven|
|7.||A picture is on the cover of the book Britische Hütehunde by Paul H. Herminghaus published in 1964 by Otto Meissners in Germany|
|8.||The Collie described by Lady Kitty Ritson (1887-1969)
A Collie is the most intelligent and the most loveable of almost any breed of dog. A good Collie is a picture to look at, especially when in full coat. It is one of those breeds which originally bred for the work of herding sheep, became a show dog, and many specimens have been sold for immense sums - a thousand pounds and more This picture shows "Ashtead Blue Prince," who won a Challenge Certificate at Crufts in 1936 and a Reserve Certificate at eight months old.
Source: "Dogs & Friend" series of 50, number 28, by Carreras Ltd. in 1936
A Changing World 1921-1930 part 5, R. H. Roberts
A Changing World 1921-1930 part 6, Ashtead Applause
A Changing World 1921-1930 part 8, Lucason of Ashtead and Jeanson Of Ashstead / Laund Loyalty of Bellhaven, with a picture of the latter
|10.||The Spur, 1-Aug-1931
An Especially Consistent Winner The Past Two Years
Owned by the Bellhaven Kennels, the sensational international champion, Lucason of Ashstead, is an exemplification of type and paramount collie features...
|11.||Rough Collie Breed Council: Ashtead Applause, Ashtead Violetta, Jean of Ashtead, Lucason of Ashtead o'Bellhaven, Jeanson Of Ashstead / Laund Loyalty of Bellhaven|
Mrs. George H. (Bobbee) Roos, Published 1982 by Alpine Publications
Contains information on Lucason of Ashtead O'Bellhaven
|The Book of Dogs
Stanley West, Published 1934 by Alexander Ouseley, 448 pages, hardback
Contains over 340 photographs of dogs taken by Walter Guiver. Three of the five Collies listed are Ashstead Blue Ensign, Ashstead Applause and Ashstead Eminence
|The New Collie
Collie Club of America, 4th edition published 1996 by John Wiley, 256 pages, hardback, ISBN 0876051271
Contains information on Lucason of Ashtead O'Bellhaven
Ashtede is a variety of fuchsia. It is registered with the American Fuchsia Society, number 4323
Ashstead had a half-brother Sharpcatcher who's foals Amelia and Moss Rose won the Queen's Plate in 1877 and 1879 respectively
In 1882 Apollo won the Kentucky Derby in the US, Apollo wins!. Apollo was sired by either Ashstead or Lever, horseracing.about.com.
It's interesting to note that according to Thoroughbred Times and Kentucky Derby.com that the Kentucky Derby was created by Col. M. Lewis Clark Jr. who was inspired by the our local Epsom Derby, and was initially run over the same distance.
In the Summer Meeting on 1926 on the first day (1 June) there was the Ashtead selling plate
In the Summer Meeting on 1967 the last race of the first day (6 June) there was the Ashtead Stakes
On the 6 June 1987 Kirowan ridden by G. Carter won the Ashtead Claiming Stakes
There are a number of Hucks in the Ashtead area including John Huck with a will dated 14 July 1842 and Elizabeth Huck, described as "Widow of Ashtead" in a will dated 22 September 1851. The insciption of "Elizabeth Huck, Ashtead, Surrey, 1835" also exists in the 1835 edition of "The Gentleman's Pocket-Book Almanack", the book also has the inscription "John Huck, account of business 1883".
In Leatherhead there were two photographers called Huck: Richard & Robert.See books by, or references to, John Payne Jennings, Cadett & Neall
Ashtead Potters Ltd were active here in Ashtead between 1923 and 1935. Some examples of the pottery can bought from Bumbles, in The Street, Ashtead.Pottery can also be bought from a number of companies, the following also have good photographs of some pieces
|The Brighton Terriers
C.J. Binnie: Published 1969 by Ravensbourne Press, 50 pages, paperback
Clear listing of every Terrier, though it does say Ashtead was renumbered 652, when it should have been 653
Has a picture of Ashtead as Weston, Clevedon & Portishead Railways WCPR No. 4;
|Kent and East Sussex Railway
Stephen Garrett: Published 1972 by The Oakwood Press, 112 pages, hardback
Has a number of photographs of Whitechapel, Stepney, Cheam and Sutton, some with their SR or BR numbers.
|The Island Terriers - The LB&SCR Terrier Class on the railways of the Isle of Wight
M.J.E. Reed: Published 1989 by Runpast, 48 pages, hardback, ISBN-10: 0946184461, ISBN-13: 978-0946184460
Excellent early history of Sutton.
|LBSCR - Stock Book
Peter Cooper: Published 1990 by Runpast Publishing, 60 pages, paperback
Has 25 detailed pages devoted to William Stroudley and Brighton, Newington, Whitechapel, Waddon, Stepney, Martello, Poplar, Fenchurch, Knowle , Sutton , Bodiam and Boxhill, but, unfortunately nothing about Ashtead.
|Stroudley and His Terriers
Tom Middlemass: Published 1995 by Pendragon, 128 pages, hardback, ISBN 1899816003
The definitative work on Terriers including 1½ pages and 4 photographs of Ashtead. Though he continually calls the engine Ashstead in spite of the photograph to the contrary.
|Magazine||Model Railway News
Published December 1954
Published Vol. 4 No. 6, November/December 1990
Excellent photograph of BR 32650, formerly Whitechapel number 50
Peter Hooper: Published Vol. 5 No. 6 November/December 1991, p262-7
Article: Great Western [ex Weston Clevedon & Portishead Railway] 'Terriers'
A truly impressive piece of detective work covering Ashtead's re-namings, re-paintings, movements and 5 photographs with it's various numbers.
1875: London, Brighton and South Coast Railway LB&SCR 53, Ashtead;
1900: re-numbered 653;
1912: re-built to A1X form;
1926: re-numbered Southern B653;
1935: given the boiler from 642 Tulsehill, making it the only A1X with a Stroudley (A1) boiler and re-numbered 2653;
1937: sold to Weston, Clevedon & Portishead Railways WC&PR and re-numbered No. 4;
1940: taken over by Great Western Railway GWR and re-numbered No. 6;
1948: taken over by British Railways and cut up.
See also Steam Index - Back Track - recording britain's railway history
See also No 4 0-6-0T - on the Weston Clevedon & Portishead Railway website
John Key: Published April 2008, p228-244
Article: The Stroudley 'Terriers' of the LB&SCR
A very broad coverage including the history of most, if not all, the 'Terriers', with a couple of brief mentions of Ashtead covering it's demise at St Philip's Marsh shed in Bristol and a picture of it as WC&PR 4. As is common Ashtead gets a mention as Ashstead, there is also a confusion with the GWR numbers of Ashtead and Gipseyhill/Portishead.
Produced to coincide with the 'Five Terrier's' festival at The Kent & East Sussex Railway, this is a look at these small Stroudley A1X class of 0-6-0T steam locomotives in preservation, plus a brief view in the 1930s of examples at Lancing Coach Works. Engines are seen at the Bluebell Railway, K&ESR, Hayling Island, Isle of Wight Steam Railway, and Bressingham
|'Schools' Class Loco 'Leatherhead', Southern Railway
For working moderately-heavy trains on which the larger six-coupled express engines are not required, or the use of which is deemed unsuitable by weight or other restrictions, the Southern Railway has a class of three-cylinder, four-couples bogie engines, named after public schools The most powerful 4-4-0 type engines in Europe, they are employed on express services on the London-Hastings and London-Portsmouth routes and elsewhere. They haul loads of ten and eleven coaches, weighing, with passengers, little short of 400 tons in all, at high speeds, over hilly roads, and have shown themselves capable of fast work.
Source: "Railway Engines" series of 50, number 11, by WD & HO Wills in 1938
|7" 45 rpm||The Southern 'Schools'
Including Leatherhead at High Brooms December 1956: Published 1963 by ARGO Transacord EAF 76